How to Register
Note: PGA and New Bylaws Now in Effect
On February 5, 2021 ASTTBC officially transitioned to the Professional Governance Act (PGA).
ASTTBC along with the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC), the Association of BC Forest Professionals (ABCFP), the College of Applied Biology (CAB) and the B.C. Institute of Agrologists (BCIA) are now regulatory bodies identified by the PGA.
The PGA establishes a new, modernized framework for professional regulators in the natural and built environment. Included in this legislation are standards relating the governance of regulatory bodies, role of ASTTBC, setting out ethical principles and responsibilities of its registrants, which is applied consistently among PGA regulators. Registrants of ASTTBC will continue to be held to maintain high standards of conduct and competency, and will have a duty to report among other requirements.
New ASTTBC Bylaws
ASTTBC’s new bylaws are now in effect and therefore information on our website may no longer be current/applicable. We are in the process of updating this information.
Applicants and registrants are required to meet the current requirements, please refer to ASTTBC Bylaws for details.
Thank you for your patience.
PREPARING TO BECOME A REGISTERED ONSITE WASTEWATER PRACTITIONER (ROWP)
If you are new to the onsite wastewater industry, you will first need to learn the essential theoretical knowledge and practical skills.
- Knowledge and skills may be gained while working with a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP) and by self-study using the materials available on the ASTTBC ROWP website at: https://owrp.asttbc.org/member-resources/spm-3-learning-resources/
Training programs specific to the British Columbia Sewerage System Regulation and Standard Practices are available through:
- Western Canada Onsite Wastewater Management Association (WCOWMA) http://www.wcowma.com/
- British Columbia Onsite Sewerage System Association (BCOSSA) https://www.bcossa.com/
- EQUIP Training https://equiptraining.ca/
Many colleges and other education providers offer courses on the basics of using computers, computer aided drafting (CAD) and technical mathematics. Online learning is another option to access education.
Preparing to Apply
Before applying, please refer to the applicable endorsement information sheet(s). Applicants are required to submit evidence of completed work (project files) on onsite wastewater systems as part of the application process. Refer to these sheets and checklists to prepare your documentation (project files).
COMPLETING THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Go to https://www.asttbcapply.ca
- Create your online account by entering a user name and password in the space provided.
- Click on “Proceed Now” and from the list of program options select “Onsite Wastewater”.
- Check the “Basic Requirements” buttons to confirm you are eligible to apply for certification.
- Read the competencies and check all the competencies listed for the endorsement(s) that you are applying for.
- Apply for Certification – complete all sections of the online application form, note additional information will be requested once you submit your application.
- Education and Work Experience related to Each Competency Claimed
- Education and Work Experience related to Each General Competency
- In these two sections of the application, applicants must describe how and when they have met the competencies. Please see ROWP Examples of Competency Information.
- Provide the names and contact information for 3 people that could provide a reference on your work including the Authorized Person.
- Complete the Work Log.
- Attach/upload project files as outlined on the endorsement information sheets linked above. Click here for some sample documents.
- Click on “Submit Application” and pay the application fee $269.06 (GST is included).
The Registration Coordinator will contact you to confirm receipt of your application this process takes 2-3 weeks. Once the application is complete, additional information including how to complete the ASTTBC Professional Practices and Ethics exam (PP&E) and the Jurisprudence exam will be provided.