How to register
PREPARING TO BECOME A REGISTERED ONSITE WASTEWATER PRACTITIONER (ROWP)
If you are new to the onsite wastewater industry, you will first need to learn the essential theoretical knowledge and practical skills. Training programs specific to the British Columbia Sewerage System Regulation and Standard Practices are available through:
- Western Canada Onsite Wastewater Management Association (WCOWMA) http://www.wcowma.com/
- British Columbia Onsite Sewerage System Association (BCOSSA) https://www.bcossa.com/
- EQUIP Training https://equiptraining.ca/
- Knowledge and skills may also be gained while working with a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP) and by self-study using the training materials available on the ASTTBC / ROWP website at: https://owrp.asttbc.org/member-resources/spm-3-learning-resources/
Many colleges and other education providers offer courses on the basics of using computers, computer aided drafting (CAD) and technical mathematics. Online learning is another option to access education.
Be sure to review the Onsite Wastewater Certification Policy and below Category information Sheets for different endorsements for the detailed requirements for registration.
- Category Information Sheet – Planner
- Category Information Sheet – Installer
- Category Information Sheet – Maintenance Provider
- Category Information Sheet – Inspector
COMPLETING THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Go to https://www.asttbcapply.ca
- Create your online account by entering a user name and password in the space provided.
- Click on “Proceed Now” and from the list of program options select “Onsite Wastewater”.
- Check the “Basic Requirements” buttons to confirm you are eligible to apply for certification.
- Read the list of competencies and check the buttons for the ones that apply to you.
- Provide the names and contact information for 3 people that could provide a reference on your work.
- Enter your work experience in the online work log.
- Attach/upload project files as outlined on the category information sheets linked above. Click here for some sample documents.
- Click on “Submit Application” and pay the application fee $269.06 (GST is included).
The Registration Coordinator will contact you to confirm receipt of your application and provide additional information including how to complete the ASTTBC Professional Practices and Ethics exam (PP&E) and the Jurisprudence exam. Upon registration you need to provide the Stamp application and Contact a ROWP consent form.