Continuing Professional Development is mandatory and applies to all ASTTBC Registrants.
Online recording of CPD activities is required and will be a condition of ongoing certification.
You are encouraged to open your own, confidential CPD Log here.
ASTTBC cannot comment on the appropriateness or thoroughness of these training programs and suggest all students carefully research these courses and consider options.
Excerpt from OWCB Certification Policy, Appendix 5 – Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Policy
In our ever-changing technological environment, the public expects that technologists, technicians and technical specialists keep informed of the latest developments related to the services they provide. Public expectations are supported in the ASTTBC Code of Ethics first principle that all members hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public, the protection of the environment and the promotion of health and safety within the workplace. This is achieved through principle 6: Members of ASTTBC shall keep informed to maintain proficiency and competence, to advance the body of knowledge within their discipline and further opportunities for the professional development of their associates. To uphold these membership principles, we must keep informed by participating in various lifelong learning or continuing professional development (CPD) activities.
- Effective January 2015, ASTTBC members will be required to record a summary description of CPD activities and the CPD points earned each calendar year. Members and registrants will enter the information in their member account on the ASTTBC website http://cpd.asttbc.org/
- Members shall achieve an average of 20 CPD points annually. The points may be averaged over a five-year period.
- The CPD information recorded in member accounts will be accessed and used by the Registrar or designate to generate a report on member compliance with the policy.
- ASTTBC Registrar shall submit annually to the Practice Review Board (PRB) a report on Member Compliance to CPD with recommendations on non-compliant members.
- The PRB will issue to non-compliant members a notice of their CPD status and the intention of ASTTBC to consider suspending their membership renewal until the member complies with the CPD policy.
- The mandatory CPD requirement does not apply to honorary, lifetime or retired members.
- The PRB is authorized to conduct an audit of CPD activities and points claimed by members.
- In extraordinary circumstances, if a member is unable to achieve an average of 20 CPD points per year over 5 years he or she may submit to the PRB a written explanation of the reason for non-compliance to the policy and request a temporary exemption from CPD activity. The PRB may accept or reject the explanation and the member’s request for temporary exemption from CPD.
- A description of accredited CPD activities and the formula to determine the CPD points earned is provided in this Activity Guide (Description of Acceptable CPD Activities and Points Earned).
Refer to the entire OWCB Certification Policy at OWCB Policy